Rosanne Wood was elected to the Leon County School Board, District 2 on August 30, 2017.
She grew up in Belle Glade, Florida. She moved to Tallahassee to go to FSU in 1970 and never left. Rosanne has been married for 26 years, has one 24 year old daughter, two step-sons who are married and have 4 children between them.
Rosanne has been recognized as one of Florida’s pioneer educational innovators. After graduating from FSU with a Master’s Degree in Social Studies Education, she served as a teacher and then principal of SAIL (School for Arts and Innovative Learning) High School in Tallahassee, Florida for 36 years.
Under her leadership, SAIL received national and state recognition for groundbreaking work with students whose interests and talents were not met in traditional public schools. The College Board recognized SAIL as one of 6 best schools in the nation for “Innovation in the Arts”.
She retired in the 2010-11 school year, the same year SAIL earned an “A” grade, with a 94% graduation rate, as well as the highest science scores and reading gains in Leon County high schools. Rosanne also:
- Served as President of the Leon County Principals’ Association in 1988 and 1995 and as the State President of the Florida Association of Alternative School Educators in 1989-91.
- Was selected by the Commissioner of Education for the “Principal Achievement Award for Outstanding Leadership” in 1990.
- Was honored as a “Woman of Courage and Vision” by Tallahassee Community College in 2001.
- Was selected as the Leon County Administrator of the Year in 2010.
- Was honored as the FSU College of Education “Distinguished K-12 Educator” alumni award in 2010.
- Was chosen as one of five “Trailblazers” by the Oasis Center for Women and Girls in 2013.
- Was a Keynote speaker at the International Conference for Invitational Educators in Orlando, Florida, September, 2013. Her topic was, “Climate Change: Creating public school environments that foster creativity, honor every student, and eliminate bullying.”
- Served as a Panelist at the National Public Radio/TV American Graduate Town Hall on reducing dropouts and increasing options for high school graduation, October, 2013.
- Served on the Citizens Editorial Board for the Tallahassee Democrat.
- Serves as the past president on the Executive Board of Directors for Council on Cultural Arts, COCA in Tallahassee, FL.
Rosanne is a proponent of early intervention and a critic of the misuse of standardized testing. You can follow her on her blog: Perspectives on Education @ https://rosannewood.wordpress.com/